ITM Master 1. Sem.
Mon 11:45-13:15 S19
Hand-in before July 10th 2019
Paper app. 12 pages
Introduction Prof. Arlt:
Former owner of specialized tour operator companies
1997-2001 lecturer (Intercultural Management, Tourism) in Europe and East Asia
Fellow of Royal Geographical Society (London) FRGS
Research Fellow of Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (Tokyo)
Board member and member HRD committee PATA Pacific Asia Travel Association(Bangkok)
Vice President Western Europe ITSA International Tourism Studies Association (Beijing/Greenwich)
Fellow of International Association of China Tourism Studies (Guangzhou)
Member of UNWTO Expert Panel (Madrid)
Member of Expert Committee World Tourism Cities Federation (Beijing)
Member of Friends of Europe Think Tank (Brussels)
Director of China Outbound Tourism Research Institute (COTRI)
Researcher University of Brighton (UK)
- Experiences in Tourism
- Planned Branch / Job / PhD after MA
- Dream job
Where have we been already?
TOPIC: How to
a) make Schleswig-Holstein more attractive for younger visitors by using the Craft Beer movement and
b) help start-up Craft Breweries in Schleswig-Holstein to develop by selling their products (beer, guided tours, brewing seminars) to tourists
- Understand situation and challenges of tourism to Schleswig-Holstein: Travel within S-H, domestic and international inbound travel
- Understand Craft Beer development globally and in S-H
- Talk with Craft Beer companies in S-H about their perceived/real relation to tourism now and plans for the future
- Talk with tourism authorities in S-H about their point of view about including Craft Beer into tourism marketing / creating a Craft Beer S-H route / umbrella brand etc.
- Create recommendations for Craft Beer breweries in S-H (or in Northern Germany) to support their development through tourism
Organisation of work to be discussed with participants, decided in next session.
Interviews with major Craft Beer companies in S-H with direct customer contact and with TASH to be conducted.
Example Neumünster: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hvICtlXkhU
Example Kiel: https://lillebraeu.de/brauerei
Craft Beer Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCraftBeerChannel
Example: Craft Beer as Tourist
"Gastronomie im Reiseziel" 87% No. 1 activity, "Einkaufen (Lebensmittel etc.)" 84% No. 2 activity named by S-H visitors in TASH Gästebefragung.
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Georg Arlt FRGS FRAS